Tuesday 30 September 2014

"Maybe our friends are our soul mates"

Hello fellow TV watchers!

Have you ever binge watched a series, lying on the couch for several days at a time, only getting up for food, water, or to use the washroom? It’s not a completely uncommon occurrence for us die hard TV lovers, especially since the start of Netflix. I’m here to tell you not to be ashamed of it, but rather to embrace it!

I had a three-week Christmas holiday last school year. Can you guess how I spent it? That’s right. Binge watching Sex and the City.

My sister had just purchased the boxed set as a Christmas gift for herself. I had to admit I was a bit skeptical about the show at first, especially after the first episode, which didn’t meet the expectations I had for it.

Now, I don’t know if it was watching the show with my sister, or that we were binge watching it, or if it was the atmosphere of being cozy on the couch while it was minus 40 outside, but I grew to love the show.

I think the aspect of the show that really got me hooked was that it is based around four completely different women who fit together perfectly. I like the idea that your friends can be your soul mates. It’s a very strange group dynamic, but it works and I think this was one of the reasons Sex and the City was so popular – it was diverse enough that many women could identify with one person or another, with one situation or another. In fact, throughout the series I found myself identifying with each of the characters as they made their way through life.

In Sex and the City the women take center stage - their relationship with each other overpowers their relationships with men. It’s really just a good story about friendship and overall I found the show to be well rounded and entertaining.

However, I never would have found all of this out had I not succumbed to my sister’s recommendation that we binge watch it.


So the moral of the story for you, my readers, is to embrace binge watching, even if you’re unsure about the show you’re about to watch. It just might lead you to discover a new show to fall in love with!


Thanks for reading!

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment