Tuesday 7 April 2015

"Whatever it takes, I know I can make it through"

Hello Readers!

I’m going to talk about a good ol’ Canadian classic this week. Maybe you can guess it? It probably won’t take too long to rack your brain for Canadian TV shows. Well in case you didn’t get it, it’s Degrassi.

I started watching this show years ago. My sister was the one who introduced me to it with the episode where Ashley takes ecstasy. If you don’t recognize the name Ashley from the series, then you’ve probably missed out on Degrassi: The Next Generation.


This is where I started the show, but it actually goes back to the ‘80’s. From The Kids of Degrassi Street to Degrassi Junior High to Degrassi High, the show followed students basically through their entire school lives. Then came Degrassi: The Next Generation named as such because a couple of the stars from the previous shows are now parents of the kids in the show.

In 2010, the show dropped “The Next Generation” part of its name, and it’s now known just as Degrassi. The show doesn’t really have the same draw for me as it used to, but I’ve continued watching it mostly out of loyalty. Also, I like to support homegrown programming.

One thing that hasn’t changed is the basic plot line. Every few seasons the episode themes get recycled. There’s been teen pregnancies, drug addictions, suicide, cyber bullying, pretty much any issue the can affect young people today has been covered at some point on the show.


All in all though, it’s really not a bad show. If you want to start watching it, from Degrassi: The Next Generation to Degrassi there are 14 seasons, so it’ll take you some time to get through it. It’s not completely clear whether you have something to catch up to though. There’s no word yet whether Degrassi will be renewed for a 15th season.

But if you’re looking for a new show, show a little Canadian pride and check it out!

Thanks for reading!


-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment