Thursday 19 March 2015

"Hangin' out down the street / The same old thing we did last week"

Hello Readers!

I’m taking you guys back on another #ThrowbackThursday today, and my show of choice is That ’70’s Show.

Set in the Wisconsin in the 1970s, the show follows a group of teenagers who are dealing with the last few years of high school. I won’t go more in detail about the plot. It really doesn’t get any more complicated than that.

Anyways, the reason I like this show is mostly because of the main character Eric. As I’ve mentioned before, I have a soft spot for sarcasm. There’s nothing quite like a well-timed sarcastic line, and this show is full of them. I suppose that’s more of a nod to the writers, but I think it’s also a good fit for Topher Grace as an actor.


Of course I can’t talk about sarcasm and not mention Red, Eric’s dad. The typical man’s man of the ’70’s, Red is all about his tools, drinking beer and his catchphrase “my foot up your ass.” He came off hard and tough most of the time, but deep down has a soft side.

I’m also a sucker for a good relationship dynamic (as you also already know). I’m not entirely sure what it is, but for some reason I really like Eric and Donna’s relationship. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Donna holds the power. She makes the decisions, but it’s in a very comical way because Eric doesn’t really have much of a backbone in the first place.

And finally, there are the scenes when the teenagers are smoking pot. I mean let’s be honest, you can’t have the ’70’s without some grass. The scenes work because they’re funny. If they were going for authenticity I think it worked – it’s made my dad laugh once or twice.


But that’s all for this week. As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for reading!


-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment