Thursday 27 November 2014

"Remember Norman, only your Mother truly loves you"

Hey guys!

Starting to feel the end of term exhaustion today, so I’m going to make it a shorter post this week.

Another reason this post will be short is because Bates Motel is kind of hard to explain. The show is sort of like a prequel to the 1960 film Psycho, and it follows the lives of Norma and Norman Bates, who have moved to White Pine Bay after the death of Norma’s husband. Norma has purchased a motel, and they are working toward starting over.

This is the plot line at its most basic. It gets pretty weird the more you dig into it, but it’s one of those shows that once you start you can’t stop. You also can’t miss a single episode because some of the storylines take a while to build. It’s very hard to get too much in depth without giving anything away, and I don’t want to ruin the thrill for those of you who may want to watch it. I say thrill because the show lives up to the thriller phenomenon.

One thing I will say though is that Norma and Norman have a very strange, and almost inappropriately intimate relationship for being mother and son. The peaceful setting of the town is a great contradiction to the secrets it holds.



As strange as it can get sometimes, it’s one of those shows that keeps you thinking. I think this is main pull for me. I need to know what happens!

Also, it’s filmed in Aldergrove, British Columbia, along with other areas in the Fraser Valley, and a there are a lot of gorgeous scene setting shots, a nice shout out to Canada.

Anyways, go check it out if you haven’t seen it.

Thanks for reading!


-Emily

2 comments:

  1. I love Psycho, so I had low expectations for this show. It really surprised me! Freddie Highmore is a good Norman Bates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was hard to know what to expect and I'm glad they made it realistic. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete