Monday 12 January 2015

And the Golden Globe goes to...

Hello readers!

Well January signals the start of some different television programming. No, I don’t mean the return of new episodes. I mean awards season!

In the last couple of years, I’ve begun to set aside the time to actually sit down and watch the various awards shows that run through the first quarter of the year. It’s a bit of a commitment, but let’s face it, I’m already hooked on TV.

For the most part, awards shows aren’t actually as boring as I thought they’d be when I first decided to tune in. Sure, the speeches can get a little dull after a while, but hey, who am I to judge someone on how they choose to celebrate such a monumental day in their career. If the host is good, you can always count on a few jokes to keep you going.

To be honest, usually the host is the reason I bother to tune in at all. And Tina Fey and Amy Poehler didn’t let me down last night during the 72nd Golden Globe Awards. They definitely touched on a couple risqué topics in the opening monologue, but I thought it was done in good fun. The Golden Globes are a party. You’ve got to have a little fun! Besides Fey and Poehler say it’s the last time they’re going to host, so why not give it all you’ve got? I’ve provided a link to The Rolling Stone, which outlines some of the best lines of the opening monologue.


Another great thing about awards shows is the fashion. I definitely don’t consider myself of fashionmonger, but it’s nice to look at all of the pretty dresses and see what the fashion leaders of the world are making these days. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to get all dressed up and go to one of these events. I think I like Reese Witherspoon’s dress the best. It’s classic and elegant and has just the right amount of sparkle. But in case you want to look at some others, here’s another link!


One thing I thought was weird about this awards show is that I didn’t know anything about the nominations. I generally don’t make it a habit to look up the various nominations because I usually hear something about who the big winners might be. It’s not rare that I’ve never seen some of the movies, but this year I haven’t even heard of some of them. I was a little more familiar with the TV side of things, but I think it’s easier to keep up to something that comes back on a regular basis. Anyways, maybe I’ll have to do a little more movie watching in preparation for the Oscars! If you’re interested in finding out who the big winners were or want to build your “to watch” list, here is the list.


Awards shows – yay or nay? I’d love to hear from you!

Thanks for reading!


-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment