Monday 26 January 2015

"Be kind to one another"

"We focus so much on our differences, and that is creating, I think, a lot of chaos and negativity and bullying in the world. And I think if everybody focused on what we all have in common - which is - we all want to be happy." - Ellen DeGeneres



Hello readers!

This week for my blog, I’d like to talk about one of my personal role models – Ellen DeGeneres.

Everyday I turn on my TV to Ellen at 4:00, and my day gets a little brighter. Whether I’m having a good day or a bad day, watching Ellen always makes me feel happy. There are probably a million reasons why I watch Ellen everyday (most of which I won’t go on in depth about because if this post gets too long I’ll probably lose you guys), but I’ll narrow it down for you to my top five.

  •       She has a great sense of humour. It’s a mix of sarcasm and deadpan put together with her observations about life and it’s absolute gold. She pulls out joke after joke with ease, a skill not everyone can do. I’m a big fan of sarcasm myself, so it makes sense that I gravitated toward Ellen to get a daily dose of laughter.
  •       She loves playing games. I also love playing games, but I can never find anyone to play them with. I would love to go on her show if only just to play a round of Heads Up with her. The game show segments on her show are actually one of the main reasons I tune in. She’s always coming up with new, and often-weird games, for her celebrity guests and audience members to play. I think my favourite is probably Blindfolded Musical Beats Seats.
  •      She loves animals. I love that she encourages people to adopt rescue animals through her charity Downtown Dog Rescue. Ellen’s love of animals shows through her show as she always takes the time to discuss her guest’s pets, especially if they have rescue pets. In this way, she’s providing a voice for animal well being and hopefully people are listening.
  •       She shares stories about people who are making a difference, and she helps people who are having a hard time. Every week on the show, Ellen brings on guests who aren’t celebrities who have a story of inspiration or of overcoming adversity or of people who have watched her show religiously and are in need of a helping hand. Maybe these stories don’t mean much to her viewers, but she takes some time out of her show anyways and lets these people tell their story. She acknowledges the work people do to make the world a better place, and offers her support where she can, which leads me to the last point I want to make.
  •       She encourages people to be kind to one another. If you ask me, I think the world needs more people like Ellen because there are not a lot of other people that ask people everyday to be kind. Ellen’s closing line is a constant reminder to me to show compassion to others, and to treat others the way I want to be treated. We’re all people. We all deserve respect. I know that her reminder to be kind to one another is not going to change the world over night. But maybe, if she says it enough, and if people hear it enough, it might start to make a difference somewhere. "Here are the values that I stand for: honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values." - Ellen DeGeneres
Point 5 above all else is the reason Ellen is such an inspiration to me. Someday, if I’m half as great as she is, I’ll be happy. To be honest, if you ask me what I want to be when I grow up I’ll probably say Ellen DeGeneres. She is always 100 per cent herself. She always seems to be happy. And of course, she’s always got time to dance!



Thanks for reading!


-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment